- This event has passed.
SOO School Programs 2021 Virtual Basketball
November 29, 2021 @ 8:00 am - December 3, 2021 @ 2:00 pm EST
Special Olympics Ontario School Programs Presents:
The Winter Classic Basketball Tournament
IN PARTNERSHIP WITH THE ONTARIO BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION (OBA)
WE ARE LIVE FROM NOVEMEBR 29TH @ 9:00 AM – DECEMBER 3RD @ 2:00 PM EST
Welcome everyone to our school’s live virtual basketball competition, where you can play head-to-head games against other schools across Canada!
Don’t miss out on the chance to win a variety of prizes, meet and connect with athletes across the country and participate in our second ever FUN DAY!
How it works:
We are offering registration 4 inclusive divisions
- Single Player Entry (ideal for students learning at home)
- Traditional Red Division Level 1 Skills Team (the entire team has an ID) (Lower Skill Level)
- Traditional Green Division Level 2 Skills Team (the entire team has an ID) (Higher Skill Level)
- Unified Teams (intended for teams that have a mix of athletes with and without intellectual disabilities)
The tournament will run from Monday, November 29th to Friday, December 3rd.
- There will be a different team challenge for each day (4 different challenges total)
- Team skill challenges include (Layups, Dribbling, Shooting and Passing)
- On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, schools will be able to complete the challenge on their own time and submit results by the end of the Day
- The Thursday challenge will be a live head-to-head competition against teams in your division!
- All teams are guaranteed to compete in all 4 challenges.
- Note: Schools will be offered the flexibility to compete Live on Thursday, November 25th, via Microsoft Teams in the event they cannot attend or access the virtual platform on Thursday, December 1st
- Friday December 3rd will feature a Christmas themed event with a variety of fun social and interactive events to celebrate everyone’s successes!
Live virtual game times on Thursday December 2nd and the alternate live day on November 25th will be determined based availability of schools indicated below on the registration form.
Teams will be notified of the game times upon the closing of registration on November 22nd
Live competitions will be hosted on two of these three platforms: Google Meet, Microsoft Teams and Zoom.
Final instructions, equipment needed, and game times and all pertinent information will be sent out upon the closure of registration to those registered.
Important for Traditional Teams Only: Please provide rankings of each athlete in these 4 areas. Please use the following guide to aid in your decision in selecting your skill-based division (either Red Level 1 (lower skills) or Green Level 2 (higher skills):
Ball Handling and Skill Evaluation /3
- Athlete can dribble the ball using both hands in a stationary position 10 times.
- Athlete can dribble the ball using one hand in a walking position 10 times.
- Athlete can dribble the ball using both hands in a running position 10 times on both sides.
Passing Skill Evaluation /3
- Athlete can bounce ball off a wall from 6 feet away and receive the ball in a stationary position 10 times.
- Athlete can receive a pass from another student and pass the ball back to the same student in a stationary position 10 times.
- Athlete can receive a pass from another student 6 feet away, and pass the ball back by distinguishing between bouncing, throwing overhead, or chest pass back in stationary position 10 times.
Shooting the Ball Evaluation /3
- Athlete can shoot and the ball go into the net/basket/hoop from 3 steps away from this distance.
- Athlete can shoot and the ball go into the net/basket/ hoop from 6-10 feet away. 3/5 shots must go in from this distance.
- Athletes can make a two-step layup
Please note: Registration closes on November 22nd at 5:00 pm EST.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns!