Athlete Check-In Guide
The first step in rolling out the Special Olympics Ontario Healthy @ Home program is to reach out to our athletes. SOO has developed a step by step guide for coaches to make this as seamless and efficient a process as possible.
How to Get Started
- Get a list of your athletes and their contact information. If you are having difficulty acquiring this information, please contact your community council for assistance.
- Plan for a 15 to 20 minute phone conversation with each of your athletes. Try to utilize your assistant coaches when reaching out and begin with the athletes who live independently. At the beginning of the call, make sure your athlete knows how long the conversation will be.
- Check in on your athlete:
- How are they doing?
- What have they been doing to stay active?
- Are they connecting with their friends & teammates via social media?
- Create a plan:
- Set a weekly activity goal
- Inform them of SOO’s Healthy @ Home initiative and how to access it
- Explain the SOO Healthy @ Home Coast to Coast Challenge and how they can participate
- Plan for a follow up & regular check ins if possible
If you are aware of any athletes who do not have access to the internet, please let us (or the community council) know. Our program roll out will include resources for athletes who do not have internet access.
Once again, thank you coaches for all that you do for your athletes, it does not go unnoticed. If you have any questions or need support, please feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.